Kinetix, a recruiting and HR consulting firm, recently put out a white paper entitled “Social Hygiene”, which details how to curate your professional brand on social media. It is extremely helpful in showing prospective employees how to tailor their images online, and to demonstrate what recruiters are looking for.
The paper makes a number of recommendations for building a positive and advantageous social media presence which we would love to share with you:
- Use LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram for professional networking and public sue, which creates a nice mix of personal and professional updates.
- Keep your Facebook account private, or else be attentive to keep it fully clean.
- Take the time to be an active user of your social media; fill out bios, finish your Linkedin resume, and add avatars. The details matter and your brand is worth the investment.
- Want to be a thought leader in your field? Subscribe to readers that update you with relevant articles, and share the ones you like.
- Keep your reader content organized, with career, industry, and personal sections.
- Keep track of everything across your platforms, use a scheduling and management service like Buffer or Hootsuite; this way, you can easily push content across different sites at the exact time you want.
- Be proud of your online presence; keep links to your social media profiles in your email signature.
These are all useful tools for maintaining a clean and controlled professional brand across social media platforms.